RE: [OT] book advice

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [OT] book advice
Date: Sat, 5 Oct 2013 21:55:05 -0700 (PDT)

> I'd start with the embedded tutorial.  That should be enough for a
> simple Unix editor.
>
> For software, I'd start by browsing the menus to get an idea of what
> emacs can do, then slowly convert to the key chords.

+1 to starting with menus and then branching out to keyboard key
sequences.  Menus can help you explore Emacs features, and the menu
items also indicate the corresponding keys.

And LaCarte can help you explore the menus (using the keyboard),
especially when used with Icicles (substring matching etc.).

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/LaCarte