Re: Need help for oh-my-emacs.

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Need help for oh-my-emacs.
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2013 04:17:21 +0200

xiaohanyu1988@gmail.com writes:

> To tell the truth, I think some code snippets from
> emacswiki or blogs or google is not portable and
> newbie-friendly. Various elisp code from the web
> conflicts with each other.

Yeah? I never had any Elisp conflicting, how do you
mean? They are just a bunch of defuns...

> Definitely sure, a package manager is much more better
> than sharing code in emacswiki or some other places.

For a Linux distribution, with lots of dependencies,
binaries, and the need to organize everything in a file
system (to provide a uniform way to access manpages,
etc. etc.), yes. For Elisp... I can't say I ever
experienced a need for conflict resolution and the
like. (But it is an interesting thought.)

> Emacs already has lots of builtin mode, so why there
> comes lots of third-party packages such as js2-mode,
> elpy, SLIME, nrepl? Since the builtin mode is not
> powerful, we need third party packages.

I'm unfamiliar with those packages. But I did install
something - some LaTeX extension, I think. But I did
that with aptitude exactly as any other software on my
system so perhaps work should be done to followup that
example?  People are already so used to aptitude so if
you could get the surplus Emacs stuff that way that
would be much better than a new tool, I think.

?

> oh-my-emacs just provide a basic point. Just like no
> body want to work with plain linux kernel, so there
> comes Ubuntu/Gentoo/Archlinux etc.

Yeah, but Linux is a *kernel* - there is nothing to
*work* with, it is a process that runs all the time so
you can run *other* processes without resource races,
starvation, etc., and *those* processes are the software
in execution, that you get from the Linux distributions
you mention. Which are in fact not always "Linux" but
can be software from GNU (isn't X is from MIT?) or
whatever. Emacs is a great interface to the computer but
it is not an OS! I don't understand that metaphor at
all.

> Some screenshots: http://www.douban.com/photos/album/117065634/

Get back to you...

--
Emanuel Berg, programmer-for-rent. CV, projects, etc at uXu
underground experts united:  http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573