Re: Why is Emacs so slow when used remotely?

From: Perry Smith
Subject: Re: Why is Emacs so slow when used remotely?
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2013 09:23:30 -0600

On Nov 29, 2013, at 12:56 PM, Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> wrote:

> Peter Dyballa wrote:
>> Am 28.11.2013 um 20:48 schrieb Bob Proulx:
>>> So when you say that it has problems with characters outside of the
>>> US-ASCII range my immediate thought was everything is graphical and
>>> what does the character range have to do with it?  It is all just
>>> pixels at that point.
>>
>> I don't think that pressing a key is a bunch of pixels – I mean
>> outside of a virtual reality, that what some folks call real life.
>
> In all of the time I have been using the various VNC implementations I
> have never seen a key input problem.  Of course that doesn't mean that
> they don't exist.

Not sure if this helps but I have about a 10 second delay when I
paste from one application into emacs (yank actually) and emacs
is running inside a VNC server window.  I asked about this about
a month ago with no reply.  I've not had time to track it down.  It
started somewhere in 24.  I'm using RealVNC server and either
the RealVNC client or JollyVNC.  The emacs and VNC server
are running on AIX 6.1.

I've also noticed that magit on this set up if painfully slow as if it is
polling the dog @#%^ out of something.  I've not had time to
track that down either.  It is slow only for a brief time and I have
so far just endured.

Perry