Re: RFC: Flavors - naming significant sets of customizations

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: RFC: Flavors - naming significant sets of customizations
Date: Sun, 01 Dec 2013 17:27:12 +0100

>> ...because if there are those suite files available,
>> people don't have to do that configuration
>> themselves.
>
> It is not just the question of availability.  It should
> be available in a centralized place and that it should
> be improved upon.
>
> Merely having a "common" customization shared in a
> centralized place like Gnu Emacs or Gnu Elpa is a
> great way to build consensus or build on (or atleast
> learn from) each other efforts.

Yes, availability and quality and "focal point" of
efforts.

> May be you want to share some of your Emacs
> customization in these places

Yes, I will go through my Elisp and for each defun, ask
myself if it is something I did just because I like it
that way or if it is something others could benefit
from. I think most of it isn't, but I know some is, so
I will do it. When I'm done, should I post it on
gnu.emacs.sources and then someone will decide if it
is? I'm fine with that method and I don't think
discussion will be needed: I did this for myself and I
will continue to use it, so there is no potential loss
(on my part at least :)).

By the way, I configured Gnus to show a short comment
for each group and for gnu.emacs.sources it says "Lisp
and C only" (pseudo-quote) emphatically - is this a
remnant of some glorious past? Because I don't see lots
of people spamming the group with Perl and C++...

--
Emanuel Berg, programmer-for-rent. CV, projects, etc at uXu
underground experts united:  http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573