Re: RFC: Flavors - naming significant sets of customizations

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: RFC: Flavors - naming significant sets of customizations
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2013 17:34:25 +0100

>> ;; (setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "Aioe.org"))
>> (setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "news.gmane.org"))
>
> Don't you think that this is a snippet that every
> Emacs + Gnus user should have?  From your own
> experience, you see that you ended up re-inventing
> the wheel...

I principle, yes, but those miniature reinventions are
perhaps tolerable. But yes, a Gnus template with those
two lines (or the like), and comments that describe how
Aioe and gmane differ, something I still don't know, by
the way. gmane seems slower. But I got a mail from them
asking me to confirm my identity, so that indicates
they are more aware of spammers and that kind of
people.

> If a person familiar with Emacs Lisp goes through
> this, think about people who use Emacs but don't know
> how to program.

Yes, I'm convinced :)

--
Emanuel Berg, programmer-for-rent. CV, projects, etc at uXu
underground experts united:  http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573