Re: ispell: The file "/usr/lib/aspell/german" can not be opened for read

From: Karl Voit
Subject: Re: ispell: The file "/usr/lib/aspell/german" can not be opened for reading.
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2013 19:15:14 +0100

Hi Peter!

* Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE> wrote:

> Am 02.12.2013 um 17:44 schrieb Karl Voit:
>
>> With the old naming scheme (de_AT, en_US, ...) it worked fine at
>> least on my non-Windows machines.
>
> I think these are the correct names of the aspell dictionaries.
> "German8" is clearly an ispell name.
>
> When you have ispell/aspell/flyspell/whatever magic spell
> correctly configured, you should be able to manually invoke
>
>       M-x ispell-change-dictionary RET

This works fine: I can use de_AT, en_US, american, german8, and so
on and it works without any error or warning message.

> To share one user init file between different systems you can use
> the variable system-type to distinguish between the systems.

I distinguish many things based on hostname (mainly) and (seldom)
host system type. However, I would like to have a method to define
the dictionary of choice as a per-file variable.

I get the feeling that we do have a different understanding of my
situation. Here is a quick overview:

Let's say I work in A.org with german8 and in B.org with american.
It's no use to do this in my .emacs. I would like to stick to the
file-based definition method that worked for years which I described
in my original posting (except the fact that I had to change from
xx_xx to names).

My old (working) setup:
- GNU/Linux and OS X
- per-file: local variable "de_AT" or "en_US"
- ispell-change-dictionary interactively: "de_AT" or "en_US"

My new (not yet working) setup:
- GNU/Linux and OS X and Windows 7
- per-file: local variable "german8" or "american" does not work on
  GNU/Linux only -> *I need to fix this*
- ispell-change-dictionary interactively: works with "german8" or
  "american" on all of my systems

Local variables (in header line or at bottom) worked with the old
names (except on Windows). With the new names (german8) it works
only on Windows and not with Debian GNU/Linux.

When I am using local var (or header var) "german8" with GNU/Linux I
get "Error: The file "/usr/lib/aspell/german" can not be opened for
reading." although I did *not* try to switch to "german" but to
"german8".

--
All in all, one of the most disturbing things today is the definitive
fact that the NSA, GCHQ, and many more government organizations are