Re: Font in mode line

From: Francesco Mazzoli
Subject: Re: Font in mode line
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2013 20:48:23 +0000 (UTC)

Jason Rumney <jasonrumney <at> gmail.com> writes:

> On Thursday, 28 November 2013 08:30:47 UTC+8, Francesco Mazzoli  wrote:
>
> > What I don't understand is this font change (in this case in terms of
> > typographic style) happens only in the mode-line faces.  To make it
> > clear again, I use that font successfully elsewhere (e.g. in the
> > `default' face).
>
> I think the default face prefers Latin fonts (other scripts are pulled in
by the default fontset rules).
> Probably if the default font is set first, mode-line face subsequently
prefers the font that is already
> loaded over one that is not, but otherwise it seems it is not prefering
latin fonts in the same way the
> default face does, so it takes the first one it sees (which may be as
simple as medium coming alphabetically
> before normal, or it may be to do with paths where the fonts are found or
the backend that is serving them).

Mhm.  So if I set the `default' face to the `8x13' font (what I want for the
mode line) everything displays fine.  Then I set the mode line faces to
`8x13' and things keep displaying fine, and `C-u C-x =' displays what you'd
expect regarding the mode line faces.

Then if I change `default' back to "9x15", the mode line goes to back to the
"bad" font.  This hints at the fact that this choice between Latin fonts and
some other script is related to what `default' face, which seems weird.

Moreover, when using the fontset string I'm fully specifying the font...

In any case, where can I find more information on this preference for Latin
fonts?

Thanks,
Francesco