Re: About abbrevs and spaces at end of line

From: Andreas Röhler
Subject: Re: About abbrevs and spaces at end of line
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2013 12:47:44 +0100

Am 10.12.2013 12:08, schrieb Harry Putnam:
Andreas Röhler <andreas.roehler@easy-emacs.de> writes:

Am 09.12.2013 22:46, schrieb Harry Putnam:
Is there some smooth way to avoid having a space at the end of line
when activating an abbrev as the last thing done before newline?

[...]

The short and long is: Invoking with spc leaves unsightly marks like
an underscore if done at the end of a line and invoking with <RET> is
not always desirable if a new line is not needed.

[...]

I have visions of some tricky way of setting up an abbrev with hardly
any more effort than the normal

     M-x edit-abbrevs <RET>

     "tru"       0          "\"TRUE\";"

In the cperl-table, then pressing C-c

Where I only need to edit the cperl abbrev table.

Problem results from binding abbrev-expand to SPACE.
Abbrev is expanded, than SPACE is inserted, as you typed it.

Solution: abbrev-mode off. Use any other key to M-x expand-abbrev RET.
This will expand it, but not insert a space.

Thank you.

After looking into this a bit, I'm not seeing a handy way to set
something else permanently.

In fact it appears there are nearly half a dozen ways to invoke
expansion.

space, <RET>, C-x ' (At least two more key combos that I already
forgot)

So there must be a list or regex or something.

Do you mean "list of keys"?

I'd like to add some other char to the list somehow.

Are you asking how to bind another key onto expand-abbrev command?

Any clues how I might do that?

BTW another solution might advice abbrev-expand with (delete-char -1) - which would
DTRT with <space> only.