Re: Frequently Enabled Packages - Emacs-24.4 survey (Please participate)

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Frequently Enabled Packages - Emacs-24.4 survey (Please participate)
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2013 23:08:35 +0100

We shouldn't be this dismissive to each others
initiatives. If we are, soon no one will dare take
initiatives. Also, we shouldn't get deadlocked over
some detail. A detail can be fixed. Only when all
details are fixed, and the idea still isn't working, it
can be dismissed.

In this particular case, it would seem that the human
factor has indeed produced errors. It is no coincidence
that `auto-compression-mode' and `auto-encryption-mode'
aren't mentioned, because those (and some others) don't
show up in the mode line. I myself was surprised when I
found them - I thought I had disabled everything I
didn't use long ago.

I found that this

(normal-erase-is-backspace-mode 0)
(abbrev-mode            0)
(auto-compression-mode  0)
(auto-encryption-mode   0)
(file-name-shadow-mode  0)
(gpm-mouse-mode         0)
(mouse-wheel-mode       0)
(tool-bar-mode          0)
(tooltip-mode           0)
(menu-bar-mode          0)

sped up my Emacs UX a lot, though that was on a much
slower computer (a laptop that fell from my backpack,
and broke) so I don't know if all that is necessary on
my current system. Anyway, as I don't use it, might
just keep it disabled. But I digress...

If `report-emacs-bug' creates a snapshot of the system,
including the major and minor modes (kind of
essential), that means there is an Elisp subroutine
that does that. We could isolate that and turn it into
a `what-minor-modes' or whatever and that would be it.

--
Emanuel Berg, programmer-for-rent. CV, projects, etc at uXu
underground experts united:  http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573