Re: interactive interface to supply variables

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: interactive interface to supply variables
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2013 19:14:00 +0100

> Add this to your .emacs.
>
>    (find-function-setup-keys)
>
> Then doing this will land you in the .el file.
>
>    C-x F describe-variable

Yes, you can also use C-h f (`describe-function') and
follow the link.

> When you are comfortable with Emacs Lisp ...

I'm not comfortable with Elisp (but not exactly
dis comfortable, either). I'm more comfortable with C
(or that's a tie perhaps). But Elisp is much more
expressible than C with &optional, &rest, backtick, the
interfaces we just mentioned, macros (compare that to
the C #preprocessor), with tons of other stuff I cannot
think of right now. So Elisp (or Lisp) requires more
work, but it is also much more pleasant as it is much
more dynamic (no recompilation one million times) and
you don't have to bother with types, pointers, memory
[dis]allocation, and all that error prone stuff.

> I don't see any reason why should rely on help for
> others.

I'm not relying on anyone. I did my whole CS education
with barley meeting my teachers. I'm *active* with other
people, in a way that is social, pleasant and
productive. Although I am very thankful for everyone
taking part in this dance, if they themselves don't
enjoy it or see any point of it, I discourage them
from doing it.

> This is the reason I suggested that you should
> checkout Emacs from bzr repo or install the .el files
> (if they are not shipped by default in your
> distribution.)

I mention this in my very first post, and that is also
what I did.

The Emacs source is not shipped by default on Debian,
it would seem, but it is easy to get. The package is
emacs24-el. Contrary to the Elisp manual, that was in
the free Debian repos, so there were no obstacles.

--
Emanuel Berg, programmer-for-rent. CV, projects, etc at uXu
underground experts united:  http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573