Re: .emacs poser

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: .emacs poser
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2013 18:14:04 +0100

Doug Lewan <dougl@shubertticketing.com> writes:

> I'm surprised that there's only one mention of input
> methods and so much about composing characters, which
> is, as you point out, a little clumsy.

It depends on where the compose key is, and the compose
sequences. If you can do it all without reaching
(i.e. all but the active fingers always at asdf jkl;
positions) it is not really clumsy. The C-x yada yada
yadas are much more clumsy.

But you should only use the compose key for a few
special cases (which will enter the muscle memory, and,
again not be that clumpy if setup close to begin with),
*and* to have the general ability to do whatever
according to some pattern (but now we are talking
*really* rare cases). Of course you should have that
freedom.

Again, take a look at this list:

compose 'o' 'a' to U+00E5 # å
compose 'o' 'A' to U+00C5 # Å
compose '0' 'a' to U+00E5 # å
compose '0' 'A' to U+00C5 # Å
compose '"' 'a' to U+00E4 # ä
compose '"' 'A' to U+00C4 # Ä
compose '/' 'o' to U+00F3 # ó
compose '/' 'O' to U+00D3 # Ó
compose '"' 'o' to U+00F6 # ö
compose '"' 'O' to U+00D6 # Ö
compose '/' 'e' to U+00E9 # é
compose '/' 'E' to U+00C9 # É
compose '/' 'a' to U+00E1 # á
compose '/' 'A' to U+00C1 # Á
compose '/' 'u' to U+00FA # ú
compose '/' 'U' to U+00DA # Ú
compose '/' 'i' to U+00ED # í
compose '/' 'I' to U+00CD # Í
compose '\' 'a' to U+00E0 # à
compose '\' 'A' to U+00C0 # À

Of course, the main thing for me is to be able to use
ä, å, and ö (and their uppercases), but as you see
there is a logical pattern so if I ever have to do á I
can stop, think, and do it.

However, I agree that the compose key is just a tiny
bit clumsy compared to just type, which is why I
prefer to have abbrev deal with whole words in almost
all cases.

> (setq default-input-method "latin-1-prefix") ...

If this works as I think it does, it is potentially
better or at least as good as the compose key solution,
only

- it only works in Emacs
- I'm a bit hesitant if I'd like the prefix to appear
  (as I guess it does?) before it changes the char -
  won't that be disruptive?

But: I'll get back after I try this.

--
Emanuel Berg, programmer-for-rent. CV, projects, etc at uXu
underground experts united:  http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573