Re: Cannot open attachments with gnus

From: Alan Schmitt
Subject: Re: Cannot open attachments with gnus
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2013 09:19:09 +0100

Hi again,

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> I think so.  My system doesn't have `open' so I don't know if it has an
> option to run synchronously, but you could either write a wrapper script
> or set up the MIME handling to call the PDF viewer directly.

I managed to make "open" open files synchronously (tip 1: use the "-W"
flag, tip 2: restarting gnus is not sufficient for the updated .mailcap
to be taken into account, I had restart emacs). It works, but I'm a bit
worried about performance.

As I'm using long running applications, I have a bunch of processes
"open ..." that keep running (and will keep running until I quit the
app). Even worse, if I understand the code correctly, each time I open
an attachment from gnus, there will be an emacs process waiting for the
application to quit (even though the window showing the document has
long been closed). Are they light enough that I should not worry about
having dozens of them around?

Thanks,

Alan