Re: indirect-buffers and text-properties

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: indirect-buffers and text-properties
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2014 10:03:04 -0500

> Really? I've started using them because they enable me to have the point
> in two places at once; for example, in the pre-amble and the body of a
[...]
> visible window). Indirect buffers seem to be a nice solution for this.

That would be using a definition of "nice" very different from the one
I'm familiar with ;-)

BTW, you might like to M-x report-emacs-bug and request exactly this
feature for "preserving window-specific point".  It can probably be
implemented in a *much* lighter way than by using indirect-buffers.

> Even as it stands, having the same content in two different modes seems
> very powerful;

It is very powerful, but as you've seen indirect-buffers only work to
some extent for that purpose and the problems you bump into are largely
unsolvable.  So it's not going in the right direction.

I think they really fit perfectly the definition of attractive-nuisance.

        Stefan