Re: can I understand wich .emacs I'm using?

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: can I understand wich .emacs I'm using?
Date: Sat, 01 Feb 2014 01:02:25 +0100

>> and I can I show this variable?
>
> Whom? For yourself you can use C-h v and then enter
> the variable's name. In mini-buffer. A *Help* buffer
> then will open and surely tell you what you want to
> know.

If the variable is somewhere in the buffer, you can
place point to the right of the symbol and hit `C-x
C-e' - try that, here: user-init-file - otherwise, try
M-: and type: user-init-file RET - that way, contrary
to the other mentioned solutions, you get to keep your
windows and buffers intact (so it is less disruptive to
your workflow). But IELM can be used to track the
changes of a symbol (variable) value, and to have that
persistent, and of course, help mode tells you a lot
more than just the value. So depending on what you want
to do, there are still lots of ways to do it :)

--
underground experts united:
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573