Re: closing emacsclient always focuses another emacs window

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: Re: closing emacsclient always focuses another emacs window
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2014 00:06:02 +0100

> (when server-raise-frame
>       (select-frame-set-input-focus (window-frame)))

This is also the documented behavior:

  C-x # runs the command server-edit, which is an interactive compiled
  Lisp function in `server.el'.

  [...]

  Switch to next server editing buffer [...]
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

  server-raise-frame is a variable defined in `server.el'.
  Its value is t

  Documentation:
  If non-nil, raise frame when switching to a buffer.

And setting server-raise-frame to nil fixes the "problem" for me.

IMHO the only problem is the vague name and documentation of the option
`server-raise-frame': I sounds like it would influence the behavior when
emacsclient is invoked, but it is decisive when you hit C-x #.  And it
does not only raise a frame, it also sets input focus.  And it's not
even mentioned in the manual.

BTW, a minor problem is that Emacs tries to delete the only visible
frame if you have only one frame that is associated to a client and you
hit C-x #.

If Eli agrees, I'll file a bug report about this.

Michael.