Intelligently opening large files in emacs

From: Dushyant Juneja
Subject: Intelligently opening large files in emacs
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2014 12:50:40 +0530

Hi,

I'm relatively new to emacs, but am pretty fascinated by its features. One
pain point is that it is rather slow in opening large data files bound to
specific modes. I generally observe it for circuit mode files (files
utilizing verilog-mode, spice-mode and spectre-mode). Is there a
possibility to help this?

I find that M-x ffap-literally is rather fast, so can the following be done
somehow:

If file is larger than default warning limit, open it literally.
Else open it with usual mode bindings.

Also, please share as to how may I modify the default size limit.

Regards,
Dushyant Juneja