Re: Arbitrary folding in emacs

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Arbitrary folding in emacs
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2014 18:32:47 -0400

> outline.el has outline-flag-region, but
> (i) it doens't use an ellipsis and

It does if you enable outline-minor-mode first.

> (ii) it is not interactive.

Indeed, tho you can work around that with

   (defun my-hide-region (beg en)
     (interactive "r")
     (outline-flag-region beg end t))

But obviously, it'll be a bit crude (e.g. no commands to unhide, tho you
might be able to use reveal-mode for that).

> I think it doesn't exist because it requires to mark a portion of the
> buffer, whereas Emacs has capabilities to be smarter than that (via
> hideshow or outline and some others yet),

That wouldn't preclude us from providing the "more manual" functionality.

        Stefan