Re: install problem

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: install problem
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2014 16:39:22 -0600

Badaruddin Chachar wrote:
> checking whether the C compiler works... no
> configure: error: in `/home/bchachar/Downloads/Compressed/emacs-24.3':
> See `config.log' for more details

Have you ever compiled any other C program from source on your system?
The above looks to me like you don't have a C compiler installed.

You said Mint.  I don't know anything about Mint other than it is
another fork of Debian.  On Debian I would build-dep emacs.  I don't
know if Mint has this or not.

  # apt-get update
  # apt-get build-dep emacs24

That will install the build-essential metapackage including all of the
dependencies for a working C compiler plus all of the build
dependencies for building the maintainer's packaged version of emacs.
If you are building it yourself I assume it is because you want
something custom so may need more or less there but replicating the
distro maintainer's build is a good place to start.

Bob