Re: Insert for each symbol (upside down A) in an emacs text document

From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
Subject: Re: Insert for each symbol (upside down A) in an emacs text document
Date: Sat, 24 May 2014 09:30:03 +0200

Angus Comber <anguscomber@gmail.com> writes:

> I am writing up some mathematical documents and would like to use the for
> all (upside down A) and there exists symbol (backwards E).
>
> Firstly, how do I insert these symbols?

Just type ∀ and ∃.

Obviously, for this to work you need to have mapped them to some key on
your keyboard layout.

I have them on greek-braceleft and greek-braceright in ~/.xmodmap

keycode  34 = bracketleft     braceleft     guillemotleft   0x1002200
keycode  35 = bracketright    braceright    guillemotright  0x1002203

The trick here is that X11 doesn't define symbols for those characters
so we need to enter the unicode cdes.

If you don't do that, you can enter them with C-x 8 RET THERE EXISTS RET
and C-x 8 RET FOR ALL RET

> Secondly, can I insert into a text document?  Or does it have to be a
> unicode document?

Yes.

> Thirdly, will the symbols be visible in the document when viewing on -
> screen??

As long as you use unicode in the whole processing chain.

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__
http://www.informatimago.com/