Re: Customising menus... removing bars

From: James Freer
Subject: Re: Customising menus... removing bars
Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2014 22:46:55 +0100 (BST)

On 2014-06-07 21:32 James Freer wrote:
I'd be grateful for a bit of guidance!

I am just reading about customising menus in emacs. I want to remove
the Buffers, Tools, Lisp-Interpreter, Help - to put it simply. I don't
want all the contents of File, Edit, Options really.

I was thinking of using EasyMenu due to it's name probably the best
for me. But I'm unsure about the main menu - I assume I leave
(menu-bar-mode 0) in the .emacs. I want to use both console and gui,
but gui in the most basic form using key shortcuts for most
commands. Console for editing email and when I am using cli but like
the gui when I am looking through a load of files.

Just as a site note: You can always bind the toggling of the menu to a
key enabling you to only make it visible when you need it.

#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
 (global-set-key (kbd "C-<f10>") 'menu-bar-mode)
#+END_SRC

HTH,
--
Alexander Baier

Alexander and Drew

Many thanks for you replies I will read further and investigate. I like emacs, but it's 'big' and takes some learning.

james