Re: Activating a mode in a hook

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: Re: Activating a mode in a hook
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2014 02:56:54 +0200

> c-basic-offset: Its value is 8, original value was set-from-style
> Local in buffer namespace.cpp; global value is set-from-style.

This seems to be the problem: you somehow set the (buffer local) binding
to 8 - before the style stuff is applied.  But AFAIU the style binding
is only applied when it finds a value of 'set-from-style.  You should
find out where the binding to 8 comes from (maybe a file local variable
binding?)

> Second question: semantic-mode will be activated when entering c++ mode but
> then it's globablly activated, how can I activate it only for specific
> modes?

I don't use it, but yes, it seems to exist only as a global mode.