Re: a dark theme?

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: a dark theme?
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2014 18:26:52 +0100

Hi Emanuel,

>> By the way: in your google groups settings, you can
>> configure that you prefer plain text mail over HTML
>> mail (not sure if there is a global setting or a
>> setting for each group; possibly both).  I'd advise
>> that you do that.  There is no good reason for HTML
>> mails, especially not in discussion mailinglists like
>> google groups.
>
> Yes, I thought HTML mails were a thing of the 90s!
>
> But wait, this only gets more confusing... If the OP
> uses Gnus to fetch mail from a gmail account,
> shouldn't that mean she gets them in certain ways not
> because of her gmail settings, but because of how people
> sent them to her?

Well, most HTML mails contain both the HTML as well as a plain text
representation of the contents, and then you can teach Gnus which one to
display.

,----[ C-h v mm-discouraged-alternatives RET ]
| mm-discouraged-alternatives is a variable defined in `mm-decode.el'.
| Its value is ("text/html" "text/richtext")
| Original value was nil
|
| Documentation:
| List of MIME types that are discouraged when viewing multipart/alternative.
| Viewing agents are supposed to view the last possible part of a message,
| as that is supposed to be the richest.  However, users may prefer other
| types instead, and this list says what types are most unwanted.  If,
| for instance, text/html parts are very unwanted, and text/richtext are
| somewhat unwanted, then the value of this variable should be set
| to:
|
|  ("text/html" "text/richtext")
|
| Adding "image/.*" might also be useful.  Spammers use it as the
| preferred part of multipart/alternative messages.  See also
| `gnus-buttonized-mime-types', to which adding "multipart/alternative"
| enables you to choose manually one of two types those mails include.
`----

And with google groups which are a kind of hybrid between mailing list
and web forum, I think you can also specify on the server side that you
prefer to only get plain text (or HTML) mails.

Bye,
Tassilo