Re: SMTP with SOCKS proxy?

From: Jonathan Groll
Subject: Re: SMTP with SOCKS proxy?
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2014 10:53:42 +0200

On Wed, 30 Jul 2014 11:38:55 +0200, Alan Schmitt
<alan.schmitt@polytechnique.org> wrote:

> On 2014-07-30 03:51, Leon Baum <leonbaum2@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > I use the mu4e mail reader with the native emacs SMTP library.  I would
> > like to configure SMTP to use a SOCKS proxy so that I can send my email
> > with tor.  I don't see any configuration options in the documentation.  Is
> > this not possible?
>
> I'm also very interested in this. I tried several approaches to have
> emacs network connexion use a SOCKS proxy, and both failed.
>
> What I tried:
>
> 1. From within emacs
>
> #+begin_src emacs-lisp
> (setq socks-override-functions 1)
> (setq socks-noproxy '("localhost"))
> (require 'socks)
> #+end_src
>
> (source: http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/ErcProxy)
>
> Trying to open a server using erc-tls then failed, because of an extra
> argument ":tls" in the open-network function call.
>
> 2. From outside emacs
>
> I started emacs with torsocks. Unfortunately launching gnus failed
> because I was not able to decrypt authinfo.gpg.
>
> I would prefer a solution from inside emacs (solution 1) but I don't
> know if it's possible.

Two good possibilities from outside Emacs that I have used are:
- proxychains - see http://proxychains.sourceforge.net/

You'll first have to start a proxychains shell or subshell where all
connections in that shell are routed through the SOCKS proxy. Then
launch Emacs from that shell.

- tun2socks - see https://code.google.com/p/badvpn/wiki/tun2socks

I'm really fond of this one, but it is more tricky to install than
proxychains. "tun2socks is used to "socksify" TCP (IPv4 and IPv6)
connections at the network layer. It implements a TUN virtual network
interface which accepts all incoming TCP connections (regardless of
destination IP), and forwards them through a SOCKS server."

Disclaimer: never used either of them for SMTP specifically , but
can't see why it won't work.

Cheers,
Jonathan
--