Re: A package in a league of its own: Helm

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: A package in a league of its own: Helm
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2014 05:33:40 +0200

solidius4747@gmail.com writes:

[snip]

> Sure, it could be more productive for things you work regularly. But I
> like a general interface that can deal with both known and unknown
> environment.

Speaking of that, it would be a good thing that helm supported multiple
filtering methods.

As you write on terms of helm vs ido I'll clarify that I'm referring to
flx (not to be confused with ido's flex matching) which is a generic
method that supports ido but which is not tied to it.

The algorithm that takes the user input and a set of candidates and
outputs a new set of canditates performs a task that is orthogonal to
the rest of helm/ido.

If helm allowed to configure the default filter method for each source
(with a global default) and also allowed to switch it on the fly (as ido
does) the users could select what best suit them on a case-by-case
basis.