Re: Gnus Subscribing to Newsgroup

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Gnus Subscribing to Newsgroup
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2014 00:05:57 +0200

torys.anderson@gmail.com (Tory S. Anderson) writes:

> Say, I use Gnus and get my list emails as a digest,
> which is great for reading but tricky for replying. Is
> there an easier way here? Just get individual emails
> and sort them into folders, or something related to
> those cryptic "news group" things?

I don't understand, what problem are you experiencing?

Newsgroups are in my experience the best if you use
Gnus. For example gnu.emacs.help - this list/group.

For lists that aren't groups as well, as you already
seem to know (?) you can use mail splitting to make
those mails appear to be newsgroups - not just appear,
in all essence, it is the same (they respond the same
way to commands in the Group buffer, for example).

Splitting may look like this:

(setq nnmail-split-methods
 '(("zsh"
"^\\(Cc\\|\\(Resent-\\)?To\\):.*zsh-\\(announce\\|workers\\|users\\)@zsh\.org.*")
   ("debian.user"
"^\\(Cc\\|\\(Resent-\\)?To\\):.*debian-user@lists\.debian\.org.*")
   ("l4"
"^\\(Cc\\|\\(Resent-\\)?To\\):.*l4-hackers@os\.inf\.tu-dresden\.de.*")
   ("emacs-w3m"    "^Subject: \\[emacs-w3m.*")
   ; ...
   ("mail.misc"    "") ))

How to reply? Use
`gnus-article-followup-with-original'. It is bound to F
but you can rebind it to r (or whatever) if you are not
happy with having to use a two-key stroke for something
that frequent.

Check the headers in the message-mode buffer if you are
in doubt.

The only practical difference I have experienced
between mailgroups and newsgroups (except the small
overhead of setting up split-methods) is faces (fonts).
Those are named differently: instead of
`gnus-group-news-1' (etc.), `gnus-group-mail-1'.

--
underground experts united