Re: Always using let*

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Always using let*
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2014 15:05:56 -0400

> What you first claimed was an urban legend was my statement that:
>  "for some Lisps the bindings of `let' can be done in parallel"
>                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^

Let's check again:

   > (The other reason is that for some Lisps the bindings of `let'
   > can be done in parallel, which can be quicker.)

   Urban legend!

Now, admittedly, you can think that I objected to "the bindings of `let'
can be done in parallel", but in reality what I objected to is the idea
that this can be quicker, which is usually understood as "use parallel
processing", aka "make use of multiple computational units at the same
time".

If someone writes "parallel" and "quicker" in the same sentence, whether
she wants it or not, people are bound to understand it as "make use of
multiple computational units at the same time to speed up execution".

        Stefan