Re: Emacs for Windows

From: David Engster
Subject: Re: Emacs for Windows
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2014 16:44:58 +0200

Eli Zaretskii writes:
>> From: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
>> Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2014 09:26:15 -0400

>> > You watch the site where you downloaded the previous one from.
>>
>> Right, and of course that's a different site for each package.  To me
>> that reads "nightmare" ;-)
>
> That's an exaggeration: there are maybe 2 or sites to watch.

Depends on what you have installed. I'd have to watch:

- ezwinports, obviously. :-)

- Emacs - depends on who is currently providing a binary, switches
  pretty much every year.

- MinGW/MSys

- GNUWin32

- MSYSGit

- GnuPG

- Mercurial

- Python, Ruby: respective homepages

- GNU Global

- Exuberant Ctags

- Windows-only-but-free stuff like Clink, ConEmu, Putty/Plink

That's just off the top of my head, I'm sure there's more. Obviously, I
don't check all those regularly, only when I see the need, but that's
not a good solution.

-David