How to do write-region, but modify

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: How to do write-region, but modify
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2014 16:58:22 +0200

Hi all,

I'd like to have a variant of write-region, which (instead of saving to
a file) "saves" the region to a temporary buffer and lets me change it
somehow there.

What I'm doing now is something like this:

(let ((text (buffer-substring beg end)))
  (with-temp-buffer
    (insert text)
    (do-some manipulation)
    (write-region (point-min) (point-max) filename)))

This feels not optimal, since the text is copied twice (once to the
variable `text' and then to the temporary buffer).

Any suggestions on how to improve this code?

TIA,

--
Marcin Borkowski
Adam Mickiewicz University