Re: fill-paragraph with pre and postfix

From: Alexis
Subject: Re: fill-paragraph with pre and postfix
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2014 19:26:46 +1100

Jacob Gerlach writes:

> On Mon, Nov 10, 2014 at 7:19 PM, Alexis <flexibeast@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hmm, but from what you said earlier, doesn't each line also need to have
>> a closing:
>>
>>     ")
>>
> I'm counting 70 up to, but not including the closing "), so the total line
> length should ultimately be 72.
>

>> If not, can you please show what the final output should look like?
>>
> Getting the exact number of chars is not so important - this would be one
> number in the function that I can tweak as necessary. I don't have a
> function that works at all. Do you have any advice on modifying function
> from my original post, or alternatively, a library or other functionality
> that could help with this?

Well, i was going to try putting together some ELisp that does what you
want, as i think it's an interesting thing to do. :-) But, what i'm
primarily confused about is not the exact line length required, but the
overall /structure/ required. Setting aside the issue of the exact line
length required, which of the following forms is what you're after?

1.

blk("This is a sentence "
    "stretching over    "
    "three lines.       ")

2.

blk("This is a sentence
     stretching over
     three lines.       ")

[There are fill spaces at the end of the first and second lines.]

3.

blk("This is a sentence ")
blk("stretching over    ")
blk("three lines.       ")

If none of the above, could you please provide a multi-line example of
the structure - regardless of exact line length - that you require?

Alexis.