Re: Cyrillic VC Git commit messages

From: Nikolay Kudryavtsev
Subject: Re: Cyrillic VC Git commit messages
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2014 19:48:47 +0300

Can you tell how you decided that, or where did you see that described?
That part implies that there is some new functionality in msysgit that does the recoding for windows cmd.exe.

And it sends codepage 1252 (not 1251) to the cmd.exe window?
It first decodes the message with logoutputencoding, then recodes it with windows-1252. If you set logoutputencoding to windows-1251, like I do, it breaks cmd.exe output.

Moreover, you seem to say that Git outputs in UTF-8 even though you
customized i18n.logoutputencoding to be windows-1251?
For vc log the second encoding with windows-1252 does not happen.

For the commit message, git first recodes from windows-1251 to utf-8 and then recodes to commitencoding. This behavior is shared when called from VC and cmd.exe.

First, vc-git-commits-coding-system is used only in 2 commands in vc-git
Yeah, but that's exactly the two commands we care about here. It sets coding-system-for-read for log and coding-system-for-write for commit message

modify vc-git.el to use 2 variables
Thought about doing this, but first decided to see if I can get any help. Those git "hooks" do weird things to say the least.

--
Best Regards,
Nikolay Kudryavtsev