XKCD/541 compliance, anyone?

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: XKCD/541 compliance, anyone?
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2014 22:16:59 +0100

Hi there,

it is so frustrating to be unable to use paren matching (like in
show-paren mode, or C-M-f & friends) when I use smileys.  And this
*does* happen; comments in, say, elisp-mode seem to be safe, but in
LaTeX smileys do break my workflow.  Try entering this in AUCTeX:

\textbf{Hello :-)}

then put the point at the EOL and press C-M-b.

I have a dream: to have the s-exp functions ignore closing parens,
brackets etc. /after/, say, things matching

[;:B]-?

(this regex should probably cover the most basic cases).

AFAIK, these functions are deeply hardcoded in Emacs; its behavior here
seems to be inborn and instinctive rather than learned and reflective,
so to speak.  (I.e., it is based on the `scan-sexp' function, which is
written in C rather than Elisp.)  I imagine that redefining scan-sexp in
Elisp is possible, but there might be problems with performance.

Did anyone try that?  Am I the only one with this problem, actually?

--
Marcin Borkowski               This email was proudly sent
http://mbork.pl                from my Emacs.