using format-alist

From: bob . hepple
Subject: using format-alist
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2014 21:43:43 -0800 (PST)

I'm trying to read a structured text format (gjots) into emacs org-mode - I
have converters gjots2org and org2gjots and they do the encoding/decoding as
filters.

I had hoped that format-alist would do what I want but it can't use a file
extension like *.gjots, so I tried this:

    (setq format-alist
          (cons '(gjots "gjots" nil "gjots2org" "org2gjots" t nil)
format-alist))
    (define-derived-mode gjots-mode org-mode "gjots"
      "Major mode for editing gjots files."
      (call-process-region (point-min) (point-max) "gjots2org" t t) ; convert
to org-mode
      (set-buffer-modified-p nil)
      (setq buffer-file-format 'gjots)) ; this is supposed to define encoding
on write!!!

.... to some extent it's working ... but when I save, it's in org-mode format,
not gjots format.

Anyone got any idea what I'm missing?

Thanks

Bob