Re: Abbrevs for the most frequent elisp symbols

From: Andreas Röhler
Subject: Re: Abbrevs for the most frequent elisp symbols
Date: Thu, 25 Dec 2014 15:56:31 +0100

On 19.12.2014 20:58, Tom wrote:
The other day it occurred to me I could use simple abbrevs for
elisp programming, but defining these manually is tiresome, so
I did some automation.

1. I collected all elisp symbols from the manual

2. Generated abbrevs for those which have multiple parts in the
name from the first letters (e.g. goto-char -> gc)

3. There can be collisions (e.g. gc maps to both goto-char and
garbage-collect), so I collected the usage statistics of all
elisp symbols from the emacs lisp sources and in case of a
collision I used that one which occurs more frequently (in the
above case: goto-char).

The result is an automated abbrev table for elisp symbols based
on frequency. So, for example, you can use wcb for
with-current-buffer, bol for beginning-of-line, mb for
match-beginning, etc.

Here's the list of abbrevs, you can try it in a buffer:

http://pastebin.com/D7Lrg3WA

The idea is trivial, so probably somebody has done something like
this already, but I thought I'd share it in case someone else
finds it useful.

Interesting item, thanks!

The question is: does the occurrence inside the manual or the source provide
indication WRT probability of personal usage?

As being a heavy abbrevs-user, here my collection of emacs-lisp abbrevs defined:

https://github.com/andreas-roehler/werkstatt/blob/master/teens-abbrevs.el

Andreas