Re: How to build the C language environment in Emacs?

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: How to build the C language environment in Emacs?
Date: Sat, 03 Jan 2015 18:48:14 +0100

Liu Shengyu<suzylau@kaist.ac.kr> writes:

> Dear I have learned Emacs for a few days by myself.
> And I have been read some books about simply uses of
> Emacs. But I have some questions about how to use it
> practically. My computer is not MAC, and my system
> is Windows 7.
>
> 1. I have been installed MinGW in my computer, and I
> have been checked in MSDOS, and also have been set
> envionment variables in PATH. But I still can't
> compile C file. Emacs tells that gcc is not a
> internal or external command. I think maybe I need
> to write some commands in ~.emacs to combine GCC and
> Emacs, but i don't know to do it. So can you help me
> about this question?

C. GCC. Emacs, ... Windows 7?!

Better to switch to a real OS. Especially if you are
into C.

Then you need a Makefile, and some source. Run
`compile' when you are done.

Some things I found useful:

    (setq compilation-scroll-output t)
    (setq compilation-mode-hook 'visual-line-mode)
    (setq compile-command "make -j 4 -s -k")
    (setq compilation-read-command nil) ; use `compile-command'

That's all there is to it.

> 2. I wanna compile (+ #c(0 1.0) 2) But Emacs tells me
> that Debugger entered--Lisp error:
> (invalid-read-syntax "#") Why this simply syntax # is
> not a built-in syntax in my Emacs. How to solve this
> kind of problem?

What do you want to do? Add two to a complex number?
The #c(0 1.0) is used in Common Lisp: it doesn't work
in Elisp. I can't help you, but probably Emacs Calc
can do it; perhaps there you can learn how to use it
in Elisp code.

--
underground experts united