Re: Linux: .Xdefaults, geometry not recognized

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: Linux: .Xdefaults, geometry not recognized
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2015 15:40:31 -0700

Uwe Brauer wrote:
> I have the following setting in my .Xdefaults
> Emacs.foreground:                       black
> Emacs.background:                       grey98
> Emacs.font:     -*-courier-bold-r-*-*-18-180-*-*-*-*-*-*
> Emacs.geometry:                         105x63+20+5
> File the font is recognized by emacs but the geometry not.

First things first.  As I am sure you are aware the .Xdefaults is the
old, old, old way and the file is ignored if the xrdb is non-empty.
Please verify that your xrdb database is completely empty.

  xrdb -q

If that lists anything then the .Xdefaults won't be used.  Almost
every desktop environment sets xrdb resources these days.  It is
better IMNHO to use it instead.

I would verify that the resources you want are set in the xrdb
correctly.  Note that the lower case name "emacs" is more specific
than the class name "Emacs" and therefore a emacs.font setting will
override an Emacs.font setting.

  xrdb -q | grep -i emacs

For debugging I would try it explicitly on the command line.  Then
with the -q option.

  emacs --xrm Emacs.geometry:105x63+20+5

  emacs -q --xrm Emacs.geometry:105x63+20+5

  emacs -q --xrm emacs.geometry:105x63+20+5

Bob