Re: Possible to make Super (Windows) key be just another Meta key like E

From: Rusi
Subject: Re: Possible to make Super (Windows) key be just another Meta key like ESC?
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2015 19:14:42 -0800 (PST)

On Monday, January 12, 2015 at 5:47:31 AM UTC+5:30, Chris Seberino wrote:
> Possible to make Super (Windows) key be just another Meta key like ESC?
>
> All the docs I read all wanted to set some combo of Super key + something
> else.
>
> I want JUST the Super key to be another Meta key if possible.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Chris

Firstly if you do C-h c ESC x
you should see that emacs says M-x is translated from ESC x
so ESC is an emulation of Meta on emacs.

And so (secondly) if you want emacs to see a Windows exactly
like and ESC, that needs to be done at the X level
ie at a lower level of OS outside of emacs.

On ubuntu something like this
http://www.wikihow.com/Change-Keyboard-Layout-in-Ubuntu may work.

Else there are lower level options like xmodmap and xkb.
xmodmap is more straightforward but obsolete and not recommended
xkb is quite a nightmare see

https://askubuntu.com/questions/325272/permanent-xmodmap-in-ubuntu-13-04/347382#347382?newreg=4eb097870a15490ebbe39d78412f9797

[Just for context, I think using the keyboard effectively
to input unicode is important and I am a complete noob at it :-)

My finding is that xkb is very powerful and terribly documented:
http://blog.languager.org/2015/01/unicode-and-universe.html
and other posts tagged unicode