RE: Single quotes in Info

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Single quotes in Info
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2015 15:53:32 -0800 (PST)

> I'm not sure about it, but it seems that after upgrading from 24.3 to
> 25.0.50.1, the Info buffer is a bit uglified.  First, it uses some face
> I don't like for variable and function names – but if this annoys me too
> much, I can change it easily.  Worse, instead of e.g. `t' it now says
> ‘t’, for instance (i.e., it uses Unicode single quotation marks).
>
> This is extremely annoying, since it makes incremental searching for
> single-quoted strings much harder.
>
> I apropos'ed the "Info-" variables and grepped the list for "quot",
> "unicode" and "single", all to no avail, and ran out of ideas.  Is this
> behavior customizable?  How to get back to ASCII quotes?

Oh boy, you'll have fun reading about this in the bug threads:

#16292 - http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=16292
         info docs now contain single straight quotes instead of `'

#13131 - http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=13131
         Allow curly quotes to be found by searching for straight quotes?

#16439 - http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=16439
         Highlighting of strings within Info buffers

#13228 - http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=13228
         Request for highlighting back-quote/quote pair notation

Enjoy!

(Info+ can at least help by highlighting quoted names etc.
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/InfoPlus)