Re: Advice on studying Emacs Lisp files

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: Re: Advice on studying Emacs Lisp files
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2015 00:04:10 +0100

On 2015-01-24, at 00:38, Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com> wrote:

>> > 1. See standard options `bookmark-use-annotations' and
>> >    `bookmark-automatically-show-annotations'.
>>
>> Thanks!  BTW, the latter one seems to be `t' by default.
>
> That is the vanilla Emacs default.  I generally leave such things
> alone.  All of the vanilla options (i.e., `bookmark-*') are left
> alone.  Bookmark+ option names have the prefix `bmkp-'.

OK, now I have another (not very important) problem.  With
bookmark-automatically-show-annotations set to t, I get a buffer with
the annotation when I jump to a bookmark.  However, it is read-only and
basically unusable for e.g. editing the annotation.  Is this intended
behavior?

>> > 2. In Bookmark+, standard functions `bookmark-edit-annotation',
>> > `bookmark-show-annotation', and `bookmark-show-all-annotations' are
>> > also commands.  The first two prompt you for the name of an annotated
>> > bookmark (with completion) and then show you the annotation.
>>
>> This does not seem to be the case for the latter two functions.  (I have
>> bookmark+ from the Git repo mentioned on the EW page.)
>
> What does not seem to be the case - they are not commands or they
> do not prompt you as I said?
>
> Anyway, both claims should hold.  I suspect that you do not have
> the latest source files.  The latest files are always on Emacs Wiki.
> I cannot speak to when or how successfully mirroring happens. ;-)

Now I know.  There was seemingly some confusion about loading.  I guess
I should have restarted my Emacs, since some parts of the bookmarking
code seemed to come from the vanilla Emacs parts.

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski
Adam Mickiewicz University