RE: Advice on studying Emacs Lisp files

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Advice on studying Emacs Lisp files
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2015 16:39:22 -0800 (PST)

> >> Thanks!  BTW, the latter one seems to be `t' by default.
> >
> > That is the vanilla Emacs default.  I generally leave such things
> > alone.  All of the vanilla options (i.e., `bookmark-*') are left
> > alone.  Bookmark+ option names have the prefix `bmkp-'.
>
> OK, now I have another (not very important) problem.  With
> bookmark-automatically-show-annotations set to t, I get a buffer with
> the annotation when I jump to a bookmark.  However, it is read-only and
> basically unusable for e.g. editing the annotation.  Is this intended
> behavior?

Yes.  If you want to edit an annotation then use
`bookmark-edit-annotation' instead of `bookmark-show-annotation'.
But that advice doesn't help for automatic showing of annotations -
that is always show-only, not edit.

I suppose it would make sense to provide a key binding for the edit
command in the show-only buffer, or perhaps let you choose to have
automatically shown annotations open for editing.

I'll think about it.  I don't use annotations, myself, and I've done
little more with that feature than what is in vanilla Emacs.  The
main thing I did (recently) was to allow for using Org mode (or any
other) and allow for an annotation to be external (in a separate file).