Re: Why do themes stack?

From: Artur Malabarba
Subject: Re: Why do themes stack?
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2015 11:56:08 -0200

Because then you can have different themes which apply to different faces.

For instance, if you really like Magit you could release a theme that only
customizes Magit faces.

If themes didn't stack, nobody would ever use your theme because it doesn't
do anything outside Magit buffers. Since themes DO stack, users can use
your theme in addition to their global theme. This way, people get all the
Magit-dedicated love of your theme while still having another nice theme
everywhere else.

The fact that extremely few special themes like this exist is a shame. It
increases confusion on the users, and increases pressure on the theme
developers to support every single major-mode under the sun.