Re: > 24.3 can't send mail

From: Sivaram Neelakantan
Subject: Re: > 24.3 can't send mail
Date: Sat, 07 Feb 2015 23:21:40 +0530

On Sat, Feb 07 2015,Tory S. Anderson wrote:

> Thanks for your help and suggestions. I managed to get it to send an
> email with one of my hosted smtp servers; I never did get it to work
> with the gmail smtp servers, though; it just seems to wait
> indefinitely and C-g brings the TLS error. I submitted a bug report
> for those. And I'm a far-cry from getting it going with my other
> half-dozen email addresses. Looks like I'll be sitting with 24.3 for a
> while.
>
> Thanks again,
> - Tory

FWIW, with this setup on Windows Emacs 24.4, I'm able to send emails, read via
IMAP and download emails through POP3.   Please try a similar setting
making sure you have a proper .authinfo file that Emacs can find and
with a new .gnus file.  This all goes into .gnus

(setq user-full-name "Sivaram Neelakantan")
(setq user-mail-address "nsivaramxxxxx@gmail.com")

(setq gnutls-log-level 1) ;; just in case it borks for some sites
(setq gnutls-trustfiles '("c:/cygwin/usr/ssl/certs/ca-bundle.trust.crt"
"c:/cygwin/usr/ssl/certs/ca-bundle.crt"))

(setq mail-sources
      '((pop :server "pop.gmail.com"
             :port 995
             :user "xxxxx@gmail.com"
             :password "xxxxx"
             :stream ssl)))
;;if retrieving from spool, delete temp file after 1 days
(setq mail-source-delete-incoming 1)
(setq mail-source-delete-old-incoming-confirm nil)
(eval-after-load "mail-source" '(require 'pop3))
(setq smtpmail-stream-type 'ssl)
(setq smtpmail-smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com")
(setq smtpmail-smtp-service 465)
(setq smtpmail-debug-info t) ; only to debug problems set to t if needed
(setq smtpmail-debug-verb t)

[snipped 39 lines]

the .authinfo entry for gmail looks like this

machine smtp.gmail.com login nsivaramxxxxx@gmail.com password XXXXX  port 587

 sivaram