Re: View log files with emacs

From: Eike
Subject: Re: View log files with emacs
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2015 09:39:10 +0100

Hi Tassilo,

Thanks for your reply.

Tassilo Horn writes:

> Hi Eike,
>
> many logging formats have a one-line-per-message format, and if there
> are multi-line messages, the second-to-last lines are indented, e.g.,
>
> [2015-02-18 08:22][foobar] An error occured: java.lang.NullPointerException
>   some.Class.method()
>   some.other.Class.method()
>
> In that case you can use Selective Display for folding, see:
>
> ,----[ (info "(emacs)Selective Display") ]
> | Emacs has the ability to hide lines indented more than a given number of
> | columns.  You can use this to get an overview of a part of a program.
> `----

Oh, that is great! Thank you.

> And you can use `occur' for filtering to messages of a given type (as
> long as you can encode that in a regex):

I found occur yesterday after searching the emacswiki (which Drew
reminded me of). That also is really nice! Together with `syslog-mode',
selective display and `auto-revert-tail-mode' it seems I have all I need
now. Emacs seems to have everything… :)

Kind regards,
Eike

--
gpg: AD7AC35E
finger print: 137F BB0B 1639 D25F DC5D  E59C B412 C5F5 AD7A C35E