Re: How to quit?

From: Robert Thorpe
Subject: Re: How to quit?
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2015 01:29:23 +0000

Marcin Borkowski <mbork@wmi.amu.edu.pl> writes:

> OK, so I have a problem, and it doesn't show up when I do emacs -Q.  So
> I take a deep breath and bisect my 900-line init.el...
>
> In LaTeX, however, when I have some weird problem, I can put \endinput
> in a file, and everything past that is ignored.  Is there anything like
> that in Elisp?

Yes, if you quote a lot of code then it becomes data, data in the
top-level of a file is just thrown away.  So, the equivalent of
\endinput is:

'(

Then, at the very end of the file put:

)

It can be useful to use the word "quote" which is equivalent, since this
isn't done in normal programming so it sticks out.  In that case begin
with:

(quote

Of course, parenthesis must balance in the blocks commented out for this
to work.  "(top-level)" can be used in init files but not in other code.

BR,
Robert Thorpe