Multiple monitors, different setup

From: Rob Kinsey
Subject: Multiple monitors, different setup
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2015 01:36:59 -0700 (PDT)

Hi all,

Just getting into emacs right now and have got a set up I am happy with using
the .emacs file.

At present I have a macbook pro and an external monitor. when the two are
connected, to get emacs opening how I want to, i.e. open on non primary monitor
and nearly maximized, I have used this line in the .emacs file:

(setq default-fram-alist
     '((top + -550) (left + -1400) (width . 190) (height . 60)))

which puts it nicely on my macbooks monitor which when docked is not the
primary monitor.

Is there a way that I can have the .emacs file do a check to see if the second
monitor is present so that when it is not docked, my emacs screen can be re
positioned so it is in standard default out of the box emacs mode?

I am assuming an if statement in the lisp checking for dvi port but not sure
how.

any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards

P166BUG