Re: if vs. when vs. and: style question

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: if vs. when vs. and: style question
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2015 22:27:23 +0100

I'd like to apologize for my arguing style in this
thread. Tho I'm not backing away from my views, I have
to reprimand myself for not presenting it in
a sarcasm-free way.

I say this because I know there are many young
programmers who eagerly read my posts, most likely
admiring me, trying to emulate me, and a must here
show them even the sun has spots, and even he who
hacks creation itself is fallible...

            *pause for astonished silence*

                        ... ;)

Now, from now on I'll just comment on things that
I *like*. It isn't as if there is any lack of them...

My final words on this is that style is not something
that should be over-analyzed. The definition of
a skilled programmer is his (or her, sometimes)
ability to write programs who carry out their intended
task that solves a real problem. Just as you cannot
tell a boxing world champ his style is bad because he
doesn't throw the jab, you don't have a case against
a programmer who can do what I just said.

On ASCII vs. Unicode, I think there is a very strong
case for ASCII but if anyone likes Unicode, by all
means use it all you like, I don't see any (big) harm
coming from that, just don't tell me it is better than
ASCII or "computers are math, only ASCII hides it so
no one noticed but us" (pseudo-quote) - this,
I consider dead wrong.

Hey... Why don't you Unicode and FP lovers do a new
editor called "Uhacs" (for Unicode, Haskell, and
Emacs) - the best thing with this editor is the
development time, which is actually zero. Because when
you start working on it, the result is a side-effect,
which is intolerable by definition, so you have to
stop :) Wait... oups, I did it again! But that joke
wasn't rude, was it? Rather, it is funny because it is
true :)

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573