Re: Caps-mode vs. Overwrite mode

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Caps-mode vs. Overwrite mode
Date: Fri, 03 Apr 2015 18:25:39 +0300

> Date: Fri, 03 Apr 2015 18:10:43 +0300
> From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
>
> > From: Dan Espen <despen@verizon.net>
> > Date: Fri, 03 Apr 2015 10:47:03 -0400

> > > The caps-mode.el that's in GNU ELPA shouldn't suffer from this
> > > problem, AFAIK.
> >
> > My first search only turns up caps-lock.el?
> >
> > Works better than caps-mode, but does type lower case
> > when the shift key is used.  I can live with that I think,
> > might even learn to like it.
>
> How do you even get caps-mode to work?  If I type any self-inserting
> character after turning on caps-mode, I get an error:
>
>   insert-char: Symbol's value as variable is void: last-command-char

OK, I see now: caps-mode should be fixed to use last-command-event
instead of (the now deleted) last-command-char.

And the problem with overwrite mode is that caps-mode doesn't pay
attention to overwrite-mode, it always inserts a character, even if
overwrite-mode is on.

So it's a bug in caps-mode: its caps-mode-self-insert-command should
be smarter, and pay attention to overwrite-mode.