Re: Adding Package Repositories in Gnu Emacs 24.4

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Adding Package Repositories in Gnu Emacs 24.4
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2015 21:00:43 -0400

> How can the custom system be reliably used to add package repositories to
> Gnu Emacs 24.4 (and later)?

If it doesn't "just work", please report it as a bug.
There are indeed problems when using Custom for some of package.el's
customization variables, but for `package-archives' I am not aware of
any special problems.

> (package-initialize)
[...]
> (require 'some-package)
> (some-package-whatever-mode t)

None of those calls pays attention to package-archives, so if there's
a problem it must be elsewhere.

> My problem with this was that running "package-initialize" in my Emacs
> initialization file resulted in a recently-installed version of AUCTeX
> (11.88.4) being shadowed by an older built-in version of AUCTeX on
> load-path. (I was using Vincent Goulet's installer emacs-24.4-modified-1.exe
> from
> http://vgoulet.act.ulaval.ca/en/emacs/windows
> and that problem may be due to AUCTeX initialization.)

This probably had nothing to do with your setting of package-archives.
And without knowing more about how your older installation fo AUCTeX is
added to load-path, there's not much we can say.

        Stefan