Re: Can I use 'C-x o o o o o' instead of C-x o C-x o C-x o C-x o C-x o?

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Can I use 'C-x o o o o o' instead of C-x o C-x o C-x o C-x o C-x o?
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2015 15:47:57 +0200

張國良 <keith@cheungsfamily.org> writes:

Hi!

I don't think there is (nor can there be) a generic way to do that.

> Scenario 1
> - I split many windows.
> - I wish to switch to some other windows.
> - I type C-x o, C-x o, C-x o repeatedly until the cursor landed on the
> desired window.
> Is there a way to use C-x o o o instead?

What if you want to switch to the other window and insert some "o"s
there?  With your suggested approach, you cannot do that.

> I aware that I can use C-u num C-x o, if I know the desired window is num
> step away.  But there are times that I do not know 'num'.
>
> Scenario 2
> - I use the windmove package.
> - I bind the windmove-up/down/left/right to C-o i, C-o k, C-o j, C-o l
> respectively.  Now, if I want to windmove to up-left, I type C-o i, C-o j.
> Is there a way to use C-o i j instead?

If you wanted to, you could define some `windmove-minor-mode' with a
keymap binding i, k, j, and l to the respective windmove commands, and a
binding for return and/or escape which deactivates this mode.  Then you
could bind C-o to `windmove-minor-mode'.  Using that, you could do

  C-o i j j l RET

where the RET would signal that you've finished moving around.
Alternatively, you could remap `self-insert-command' to deactivating
that mode.  In this case, any key you press except for i/j/k/l would
exit this "movement mode".

HTH,
Tassilo