Re: .emacs to keep cursor stationary when scrolling with mouse

From: JohnF
Subject: Re: .emacs to keep cursor stationary when scrolling with mouse
Date: Sat, 30 May 2015 07:48:34 +0000 (UTC)

tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> On Sat, May 30, 2015 at 03:43:21AM +0000, JohnF wrote:
> [...]
>> Thanks for terminology correction. Well, I do want to see the point,
>> but, yes, very definitely, I want it to stay fixed when text scrolls.
>
> Just one remark, perhaps to ease communication. When you say "stay fixed",
> you mean *relative to the window* and not *relative to the buffer* (in
> other words, to the underlying text), right?

Right. When scrolling text with keyboard page up/down. And that works now.
But when scrolling text with mouse wheel, or by dragging text bar,
I also want it fixed relative to window, and that doesn't work.
   With keyboard arrow up/down, then it should move one row up/down
relative to window, until it eventually reaches top/bottom of window.
Then text should begin scrolling one line up/down, with cursor remaining
stationary at the very top/bottom of window. And that works now, too.

> It took me a while to realize that. That's because the mental model of
> an Emacs person seems to be more: the buffer (i.e. the "text") is fixed,
> and point (i.e. the cursor) and window (i.e. the viewport, through which
> you look at the text), both move relative to it.
>
> Seen from that perspective, you want to "move" point along with "window",
> right?
> regards

Maybe, maybe not -- what's a "window"??? I meant the physical screen
real estate, what emacs maybe calls the "frame", as in, e.g.,
  (set-frame-width (selected-frame) 80)        ; #cols wide
  (set-frame-height (selected-frame) 52)       ; #rows high
Relative to that, I want the point stationary when text scrolls.
Now, if you mean the "window of the text buffer" displayed in
the frame, which changes as text scrolls, then I guess I could agree
that the point "moves" relative to that. But it seems an odd way
to phrase things...

...Maybe that's just the "mental model" you mentioned above,
for emacs relative to people (me) accustomed to other editors.
An anthropologist could maybe have a good time with that.
How does
  "Ethnocentrism as exhibited by different editor communities"
sound as the title for an article submitted to the American Journal
of Anthropology (or wherever)? :)
--
John Forkosh  ( mailto:  j@f.com  where j=john and f=forkosh )