How to select one of the buffers that match a substring in "switch-to-bu

From: KARR, DAVID
Subject: How to select one of the buffers that match a substring in "switch-to-buffer"?
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2015 16:47:31 +0000

I remember in an older "switch-to-buffer" user interface, if I typed a
substring of a buffer name that matched more than one buffer, there was a
convenient interface that let me select one of the choices, even if the
substring I entered didn't start at the beginning of the file name.  I think
that might have been called "iswitchb", but I think that's been deprecated.  In
the current interface, it lists the buffer names that match the substring, but
it appears that all I can do at this point is erase what I've entered so far
and then enter the string that begins the buffer name I want.

Is there any way to get the "old and enhanced" behavior?